Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Does it Matter?

One of the weird parts of being in a band is dealing with feeling on top of the world, followed by feeling meaningless. There's that moment when you hear someone screaming your name in the crowd, and there's a rush of adrenaline that bursts sweet into your veins. You never know if they've got a gun.

Then there's that moment when you try to crowd-surf, and there's three people in the crowd, and you're laying on your back in the middle of a dirty club. Ouch. You smell like smoke at the end of the night, someone spilled beer on your keyboard, and you think you fell in something that resembled dried jello.

I have to remember who I am has very little to do with what I do. Who I'm owned by means a lot more than the what I spit into a mic. Most of you know I'm one of the strange breed of twice-born people. Still wet behind the ears. Wandering around with our eyes crusted shut, hands flailing about for a solid surface.

I wrote "Jade Tree Eyes" with this imagery in mind. Sort of a way of reminding myself what gives me meaning. Why I get up on the stage and sing to blank walls.

"Kelsey Rose, they're calling for me
And I'm forced to face the crowd
Will I run, will I fight, will the melodies I write
Change the hearts, move the heads"

"I'm going to try again to love them
Though I feel to weak to stand
But I'll lean on the man
That I can not feel or see "


Cheers,

Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment