Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Not Being Nice

So I was at the library the other afternoon, and asked the librarian if they had a specific book on music history available, and the librarian replied "yes, Mr. Barfield."

I hadn't given her my card yet, and I'd never met her before. Turns out she worked in the local history department, and had seen my face in various magazines and newsclippings from around town.

I was suddenly conscious of having a reputation. It sneaks up on you without you realizing, but we all become part of history eventually in one way or another.

With so much social networking and interconnectivity, we're all building a reputation. Being a part of the community. For better or worse.

Next time you feel like chewing out your waiter, be careful- he might just know you, and you might be building a reputation.

No comments:

Post a Comment